Friday, June 1, 2012

Why can't I get an M6 in the U.S.?

I get these questions often, and I asked many of them myself before making my decision to get the best that I possibly could since this is my life and I have to keep living it in this body. I flew to Germany to have my M6 disk replacement about 9 months ago.  NOT ONCE have I ever looked back!!!! INCREDIBLE that I got my life back! To follow are answers to many of the questions you too may have.

WHY can't I get an M6 disk replacement in the U.S.?

Because the FDA has a lot of policies and people funding those policies and the M6 will not be approved for at least another 5 or 6 years to be a procedure available int the U.S.

Can you wait that long? How much living will you miss out on?


What about Canada?

Well Canada follows suit with the U.S. and the FDA, so the M6 will no sooner be available in Canada until it is in the states.

Why would I go to Germany for surgery? 

Germany has always been at the forefront of medical advancements.
The care in Germany is Government funded. Unlike in the states, it is insurance and pharmaceutical company funded. Canada waits for the U.S. to approve medical advancements. The U.S. waits for studies from other countries (for years of studies) before approving all kinds of treatment advancements. Many of the rich, famous have been going to Europe for all kinds of treatment for years! All in search of the best... the best of which is still not available here.


My doctor says a fusion is the "gold standard" and I will be just fine, why spend money to go to Germany?

Gold standard is what they call it... I think only because it has been around so long. They could call it the Frankenstein standard for that matter, you will wind up with a plate and screws in your neck to keep your neck in a very stiff position that will create the domino effect causing the disks above and below the fusion undue stress and after 6,8,12, maybe even 18 months you will be back in for another one.... Frankenstein standard... just don't get caught out in a lightening storm!

The other reason your doctor may not tell you to come to Germany may be because that's money they won't earn, and future money as well...
Or maybe they are not versed on what the M6 is, they don't attend the bi-annual spinal conferences held in Chicago twice a year.
Or maybe he thinks as my doctor told me, "well, lets do the fusion now, and in 4-5 years when the M6 is approved then we can use that for the herniations above and/or below in your neck."  - I almost flew off the handle when he said that!  ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!


My insurance may not cover the surgery in Germany, but it will cover a fusion. What should I do?

Well, here is how I looked at it:
     1) does the insurance company really have my best interests at heart?
     2) do they care if I am back in for another fusion in a year or two?
     3) will they just raise my rates to make up for money put out?
     4) have you considered fund raisers? Ken in Canada helps many put those together.
     5) how about part of your retirement? Can't enjoy retirement being in pain can you?
     6) be creative! If there is a will there is a way! THIS IS YOUR LIFE and YOUR BODY!


This may not have been your fault. Most likely it is not. Why suffer another day, or worse get a diskectomy or laminectomy (a.k.a. Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery) that may relieve you for 6-12 months before the disk continues to push out and you are back in? Don't do a fusion!!!! That is honestly your last resort. You will be back in for another or you will suffer as much if not more. You will look back at things you used to enjoy as "Oh, I just can't do that anymore."

BUT WHAT IF YOU COULD?
What if the day after surgery you could hold a whole pot of coffee and pour it without dropping it or spilling a drop? What if you could walk further than you have walked in years just 3-4 days after surgery? What if you could travel and sight see days after surgery? What if in 3 months post surgery you could do nearly EVERYTHING you ever dreamed of again?

   • skydiving, snowboarding, horseback riding...

The choice really is yours! Stop making excuses and LIVE YOUR LIFE AGAIN!


In all honesty, I thought my life was so over I was almost suicidal. I was watching everything I loved to do diminish before my eyes. What it does to one mentally is almost worse than what it does physically. Be the next success story in your world to tell all of your friends and family how happy you are to be LIVING AGAIN!!!!

Go NOW TO THE WEB SITE and contact Ken or Kelli and start learning more!

No comments:

Post a Comment